Friday, June 11, 2010

why re-align?

I am trying to get my flow back so hang in there with my blogs. Today i will talk about my thoughts about all of these teams moving conferences. What ever happened to tradition? Over the past decade, college football has used tradition for the reason that we don't have a playoff system. They wanted to keep the bowls in tact and make them as important as conference championships. They talk so much about the tradition of college football. Well so much of the tradition of college football is based on the match ups of teams that are moving to different conferences. Oklahoma and Nebraska was the biggest match up of two super programs when i was a child. Nebraska going to the Big Ten makes sense since they are located in the Mid west. I think that Missouri, Kansas, Kansas St., and Iowa St. should follow them there. Missouri plays Illinois every year in a border war game. Iowa and Iowa St. play each other too. The Kansas schools could give Big Ten basketball more of a lift with its top flight programs. To me it is a win win situation for the conference.
The crazy conference is the Pac-10. I will not address the USC probation but why do they need to add Texas schools and Oklahoma schools. I can understand Colorado because it is at least in a different time zone. They recruit the west coast and they are more Pacific than southern. Don't get me wrong. I think adding the Texas schools and Oklahoma schools puts this conference ina different atmosphere, but shouldn't the Pac-10 go after Fresno St. and Boise St.? Even Hawaii before they raid the Big 12. How about San Diego St.? I know these schools are not juggernauts in grand scheme of things but wouldn't it been cool to have Boise St. play these Pac-10 schools on a regular basis and get invited to the big party like everyone else? Notre Dame was special back in the day and when they got their own television contract a lot of schools felt slapped in the face. I remember that Kansas decided to cancel playing basketball against the Irish because they felt that Notre Dame was acting to high and mighty. Now I have lived out here for 14 years and yes there are more Texans here than any other state. They are happy I am sure. I am sure that USC wants a shot at Texas again. But to me the landscape of college football has been destroyed. What is next? The ACC goes after Virginia Tech, Florida St. and Miami? This is all about MONEY!!! The success of the Big Ten network and has piqued the interest of all of the major conferences. The SEC Network is working out its kinks and I expect that it will try to add some teams to grow its market and constituents. Directv and the other cable networks are about to make crazy loot. I wonder what ESPN will do if all of the games are played on the conference network channels. At Adirondack camp, the slogan is " The traditions are set and the memories are waiting".. For 106 years that has been very true. College football has realigned before and it survived.. I wonder what would happen if Harvard did not play Yale...Lehigh did not play Lafayette.. Duke and North Carolina did not play. A few years ago, there was talk that the Yankees and the Red Sox were going to be split up. Money talks... Bullsh** plays in the WAC conference or Conference USA..

No comments:

Post a Comment