Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Buttercup...


"Why do you build me up, Buttercup baby just to let me down..." Many people are asking themselves that question today. The world first billionaire athlete has been a bad boy and I am shocked and outraged that people are surprised. I think that most people thought that Mr. Woods was a "square, a dork, a geek," and did not have it in him to be a playa.. Wrong!!! He has a model wife, a great self made career, two children, beautiful homes, in short he has it all. The question isnt why, either. The question is when.. If he did his cheating while his wife was pregnant most people in the world will lose a little respect for him. Some will say cheating is cheating no matter when, how or what a person does it. He is not the first and won't be the last. Is his action unforgivable? That is up to his wife. He has done enough for me. He has apologized and I agree with everything that he said. So my rant today addresses a broader topic.
What has happened to us as a culture that we have absolutely little to no faith in anyone. Whether it is a politician, police officer, iconic actor, actress, athlete, priest, doctor, lawyer, mother, father, WE AS A PEOPLE DO NOT TRUST ANYONE. WE BELIEVE EVERY STORY TO BE TRUE NO MATTER HOW SALACIOUS, CRAZY, UNFATHOMABLE, OR RIDICULOUS. We get mad at the media because we think that they exploit our intelligence or the exploit the people being accused. The reality is we need them to keep pointing out to us that no one is perfect. I blogged a while ago about how in the 40's, 50's, 60's the media seemed to have a code of honor and silence. We have all heard of stories of President Kennedy and Marylin Monroe. We have heard of stories of Muhammad Ali and his many mistresses. We have heard of stories of J.Edgar Hoover, and the Yankees and athletes of that era. Hell Wilt Chamberlain said he slept with over 20,000 women. I am willing to bet you today that there are bouncers and security guards around the country that know things about people that may stun you. The media isn't the one committing the bad act, they just get the story in a crazy manner and that incites people even more. The part that scares me is that I am scared to watch the news. I am waiting for bad news more than I am waiting for good news. To me that is wrong. I don't want to live in a world where I can't tell my daughter not to have heroes. Sure every parent wants their child to look to them and say that they are their hero. But the reality is that most kids look to leaders outside of the home for their inspirations. In the last 10 years I have heard that Dr. J had a child out of wedlock and was a pro tennis player. Micheal Jordan divorced, Janet Jones Gretzky was apart of a gambling operation, Roger Clemens wife was allegedly taking HGH to look good in a photo shoot, Marion Jones took steroids, there are people who sole job is to fix soccer games in Europe and the world, just to name a few. Marv Albert is a biter. Shawn Kemp and Jason Caffey had 10 kids out of wedlock different women. Evander Holyfield has a bunch too. Dale Earnhardt Jr. and his mom fighting over his father's legacy.
Do we hold people in to high of esteem? I think those days are long over. I worked a party out here for NBC's 75th anniversary and there was a crowd of people across the street screaming at the stars going in to the party. I couldn't believe it. I asked one of the members of the crowd why he was saying what he was saying, and went on about some anti-Semitic stuff and I had to walk away because I was disgusted. As I walked away, he asked me why do I like them so much. I told him that they give me something to aspire to and they give me a relief when I have somethings that are bugging me. I said to him that there is nothing wrong with being a fan. I said that he does not have to be a fan, but being a racist made him look stupid. Then the cops shooed him and the crowd away. The point is I don't want my daughter to grow up in a world where she is told not to have heroes. If Tiger wins the first three tournaments out the block next year, this story will go away. In fact i think this story will be out of sight unless more women come out with proof or he goes on Oprah, or if Elin files for divorce. I guess we all sit and wait and see who is next. Derek Jeter has been dating starlets his entire Yankee career. I have never heard a bad word said by any of the ladies after he moves on. He is never in the tabloids. Then again neither was O.J......

No comments:

Post a Comment