Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The sportsman of the year is....what?


Sports Illustrated named Derek Jeter of the World Champion New york Yankees as the Sportsman of the year and I am a bit surprised. I know many of us "yankees" don't follow NASCAR or Tennis or even College Football but this award this year belongs to at least three people before Derek Jeter. Jimmie Johnson just made history in his sport. In fact many are saying that what he has done has no equivalent in any sports. The "Tiger Slam" is the closest accomplishment to what JJ has done and I cannot believe in a year where JJ accomplished this feat, he is not the run away sportsman of the year. I know most of us don't even regard NASCAR as a sport. I don't even drive so I cannot tell you or anyone how difficult his accomplishment actually is. In this day and age, anyone dominating a sport like JJ has deserves all the accolades over any life time achievement award. Jeter passed Lou Gehrig. Okay. They play more games today than they did in the 20's and 30's so eventually it was going to happen. The right person passed him and in a championship year maybe winning the league M.V.P. would change my stance. Jeter also won the Roberto Clemente Award which I find interesting since Albert Pujols is baseball's cover boy. He deserves the Sportsman of the year award for what he did this year in baseball and the type of historic run that he is on.
I think that Tim Tebow is over-rated and Over-hyped, but what he is about to do makes him more Sports man of the year worthy than Jeter. If his team wins Saturday, he will be playing in his third championship game in a four year career. In college sports that is phenomenal. He has been a Heisman finalist for three years in a row. Now i think that people are crazy when they say he is greatest college football player ever to live because I just think that there are better players. He has broken almost every scoring record in the S.E.C. and has done things as a quarterback that no one else has done. U.S.C recently played in three title games in a row and was a Vince Young Miracle away from winning all three. Tebow has gone to speak in third world nations as an ambassador to this country and has represented college football on and off the field better than anyone in the past decade. He deserves the award over Jeter for all of his accomplishments. The sad thing is that for a guy that is supposedly the greatest player of all time, it appears that no one thinks that he will be a great pro. I hope he proves people wrong. (but never beats the Giants)
The last guy has to be Roger Federer. I know that in my blogs that i have that I am a Sampras guy and blah blah blah, but The guy set the All Time record this year in slams and was in the finals of all of the majors this year. (again) I know what he has done in his career is spectacular and quite redundant. He has gone from a guy that people earlier this year said was done, to being back at the table with Tiger and Jimmie Johnson. I dont need to gush over Federer's success because he is the standard player in his sport. He deserves the award over Jeter.
I will add one more name. Manny Pacquiauo has transcended his sport higher than anyone in the individual sports. Tiger maybe the most famous athlete in the world but Manny is the most important person in his sport that does not have another face. Mayweather may beat him and may be the best boxer pound for pound but who care about Floyd. Most people think he is sacred of Manny. He is more important to his country than any athlete in the world. He beat Cotto and after the fight performed in a concert. His last three wins against De la Hoya, Hatton and Cotto elevated to a status that we haven't seen in Boxing since Tyson. He started his career at Bantamweight!!!!
As a Met fan I am sure that most of you think I am just hating. I love Derek Jeter!! I tell my wife that if my Daughter meet a boy like Jeter , he is welcomed in my home for ever. I know it is a hard choice each year, but they need to make the award clear that it is not a lifetime achievement award. The fact that he is the first Yankee to win the award is cool. Peyton Manning may win his fourth M.V.P. trophy or Tebow may win his second Heisman or Frave may win his Fourth M.V.P. award.. oh oh what will they do then...

No comments:

Post a Comment