Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Olympics are coming... SO..

Most of you who knew me in 1984 at Adirondack Camp remember how often I would parade around the dining hall exalting, gloating, the accomplishments of the United States basketball team.  Everyday I would write how many points we won by, how many points Micheal Jordan had, and who we defeated.  That basketball team was one of the greatest amateur teams assembled but they were not the only stories that year.  Carl Lewis was still at his best, Edwin Moses was still running circles around the world. Greg Louganis was the diving champ.  Mary Lou Retton was the media darling.  Jackie Joyner Kersey started her dominance just to name a few.  We knew the swimmers, the boxers, the distance runners all by first name.  Remember Mary Decker Slaney and Zola Budd controversey? Mark Breland was supposed to become the next Sugar Ray Leonard.  We had a loaded team. Do you know that Mark McGwire, Will Clark, and Barry Larkin were on that team?  Can anyone name anyone on this Olympic team other than the professional athletes?
This current olympic team is headlined by Micheal Phelps, the "Dream Teams", Allyson Felix, and the William Sisters?  I dont know who is on our boxing team.  Our wrestling team, I know who Tyson Gay is on our 100 meter sprint team.  I don't know who our long jumper is, weightlifter, or who are our top gymnasts. Most of our distance running team are people who were born in other countries who have American citizenship.  I know Ryan Lochte, I know some of the names of the womens swim team.  I know we have the top women's volleyball team in the world.  The womens basketball team hasn't lost a game in years.  I watch the commercials on television and they are all about Usain Bolt.  Bolt isn't even the best sprinter on his current team this year, but because of what he did in Beijing he is getting all of the praise.  Micheal Phelps dreads going to the pool.  There are so many reports that he can't wait for all of this to be over and go into hiding. He has already dropped an event and at the trials he acted as if he really did not want to be there, which prompted one of his teammates to call him out publicly a few weeks ago.
The Olympics and the Presidential election are the only time we as a country feel patriotic and I will support my fellow athletes till I die.  I have to tell you that I am not as excited for this Olympic game as I was in 1984.  I don't think anyone is who isn't on the team.  I think the biggest reason other than the fact that I don't simply know anyone on this team is we are not as dominant in all sports as we were in 1984.  Yes I remember thatt the Russians did not participate in 1984, but I don't think that would have mattered.  We were just simply that good in 1984.  We don't have the top sprinter in the world, yet we have the top swimmer.  Our basketball team in the men's is the favorite to win gold but no one is expecting a cake walk. There just doesn't seem to be any huge expectations for our team. 
I hope that by the end of the two week Olympiad, I will eat all of these words and rejoice in our glory as Americans.  We need to re-ascend to the top and reclaim our thrown as the worlds best.  I am hoping to be introduced to new champions and seeing new legends.  I hope these two weeks inspire us all to be better people.  I will watch all that I can... Will You?

No comments:

Post a Comment